Thursday, May 2, 2013

How Am I Supposed To Review This?

Well, I told you I'd make another attempt at regular posting.

I told you I'd start with a review of the Wait Wait Don't Tell Me cinecast on May 2.

I just got back from said cinecast.

How am I supposed to review it?

There isn't a whole lot more to say then "Ever been to a taping of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me? They pointed a camera at it!" If you haven't been to a taping of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me...I've done it three times. You can go into this blog's archives and read my report from when I went to see the show at the Wang Theater in Boston in 2012. It's a lot of fun, but it's not something they need to do a cinecast of. If you don't believe me, here are three notes from what I saw tonight:
  •  They had a musical guest, Sharon Jones, who played and sang for the cinecast audience between rounds. Why, I couldn't tell you. They've never had that at the Wang Theater.
  • Not My Job guest Steve Martin went on so long, they had to skip the Listener Limerick Challenge. 
  • After the main action of the show was taped (and again, they skipped the Listener Limerick Challenge), Sharon Jones performed one more song, after which Peter Sagal turned to the camera and said something like "That's it. We're shutting down the live feed." Then they did. The screen went blank. The auditorium lights went on. Everyone got up and left. They could easily still be doing retakes for the live audience in New York (and yes, the were doing the cinecast from New York, not Chicago). Who knows, maybe they actually went back and taped the Listener Limerick Challenge. 
If I'm making it sound like this wasn't fun, I'm sorry. The sad fact is, I've seen Wait Wait Don't Tell Me live at the Wang Theater in Boston three times, I went to the cinecast, I watched the TV special on BBC America, and I'm still seriously considering buying tickets to see them live a fourth time on August 29 when they're going to do a taping at Tanglewood (a music hall in Lenox, Massachusetts - the Boston Symphony Orchestra plays there a lot).

Man, I'm weird.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment