Thursday, February 4, 2010

Wink...How Could You?

There is some news today, and in my book, it's not good.

If you know anything about game shows, you probably know the name Wink Martindale. One of the most legendary hosts of all time, Wink hosted the third most shows ever (after Bill Cullen and Tom Kennedy) and second most shows of anyone still alive (Bill Cullen died in 1990). A few weeks ago, it came out that he would soon be hosting a new show, but we had no idea what the show was or what channel it was on. I got very excited, thinking this would be some wonderful new revival that would replace As The World Turns and put Wink on CBS five days a week.

Needless to say, I was jumping to conclusions.

The new show is titled Instant Recall, and it premieres on March 4 on Game Show Network. The idea, as far as I can tell: a contestant is put into a Candid Camera-type practical joke situation. As with all shows of this sort, hidden cameras film his\her reaction. After being told that it's a joke, the contestant is asked a set of questions about what just happened and can win cash and prizes by answering correctly.

That's it. Wink Martindale is coming back for that. What's wrong with this picture? That's among the dumbest concepts for a game show I've ever heard, and Wink's not going to make it any better. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that that's one of the few game show ideas that should have a washed-up comedian as the host. As good as some of them have turned out to be (Howie Mandel, Jeff Foxworthy, Dennis Miller) the fact is that I'm getting tired of washed-up comedians hosting game shows...and now one of the most legendary hosts of all time is hosting that? Are you kidding me?

The sad part, of course, is that since Wink is hosting, I'll probably check it out...and that means it worked.

If you're wondering, I have no idea what, if anything, is replacing As The World Turns; I will, however, have something special next week.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment