Thursday, February 25, 2010

None Of This Is Confirmed...

It does look very likely right now that we will have a new game show in the fall on CBS to replace As The World Turns. While I should stress that this is more rumor than anything else, I thought I'd give my thoughts on each of the shows that are reported as being in the running for the slot. Let's take this in no particular order, and with the company that owns each show listed next to the show's name:

Pyramid (Sony): The frontrunner apparently, and while it wouldn't be my first choice, it's always a good show to have around. It's probably time someone went ahead and did The $1,000,000 Pyramid (and let's face it, that's what this would be).

Catch Phrase (Hasbro): No, not the show Art James hosted, but rather an adaptation of the board game. I own a lot of board games, but not this one, so I looked on Hasbro's site for the instructions. Catch Phrase, as far as I can tell...is just a variation on Pyramid. The big difference: rather than one team trying to get as many words as possible before time runs out, once one team guesses a word, it's the other team's turn. When time runs out, the team whose turn it is loses the round. That's it. CBS, if you're going to revive Pyramid, revive Pyramid. Frankly, I'd rather have Password anyway...oh, wait...

Password (Fremantle): I would love to see more Password, but with both Pyramid and Catch Phrase in the mix, I'm guessing it's highly unlikely. Oh well.

Apples To Apples (Mattel): Yes, you read that right. This is a board game I do own, and it's one of the least likely things to translate to television you could possibly imagine. Frankly, I'd rather have this than Catch Phrase, if only so I can see how it comes together, but I wouldn't want it at the expense of a proven success.

Press Your Luck (Fremantle): Probably my first choice of the shows on this list. I would love to see this come back...it would fit in perfectly with The Price Is Right and Let's Make A Deal...and let's face it, it's not going to happen.

Dirty Rotten Cheater (Jonathan Goodson): Believe it or not, this would be my second choice. I don't think it flopped by any fault of the show itself, but simply because nobody watched Pax in primetime. If CBS were to give this one a try, I think it could really work...but it's not a name people know.

The Dating Game (Sony): Please, please, NO.

The Money Maze: I think the fact that I don't know who owns this show proves I don't want it back. It would be better than The Dating Game, though.

There you have it! Looks like we're going to get a word game. Let me stress one more time than this is all more rumor than anything else...but as there's no real news this week...

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment