Friday, November 23, 2012

I Know, I Know, I Know

I really need to get writing on this blog back into my routine.

Here's the big news in my life - I was in New York for a few days and went to a taping of NPR's Ask Me Another. It's not a show I'm the world's biggest fan of, but I wanted to see a game show and that was the one I could get tickets to.
I'm not going to go intro tremendous detail, but here's a few things that stand out:
  • The Bell House turned out to be a dingy bar\comedy club in a not particularly nice part of Brooklyn. When I got off the subway with the friend I was seeing this with, we were wondering if we were going to get mugged.
  • The show tries very, very hard not to stop to do retakes, but they had to at one point because the computer controlling the buzzers crashed. It took about fifteen minutes to reset everything, after which they threw out the question they had been reading.
  • Like a few other shows I've seen live - Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Have I Got News For You come to mind - after the main action of the show is recorded they rerecord some sections that didn't come through right, with the audience expected to clap and laugh as if it were the first time. They also take an intermission after a couple rounds.
  • Special guest Cristin Milioti dropped the F-bomb on public radio. It will probably get edited out, of course, but it sure made the audience laugh.
  • All in all it was a lot of fun, and if you're willing to go to a dingy comedy club to see a public radio game show, by all means, do so.
I hope there's news next week. I doubt it, but I hope.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment