Thursday, February 9, 2012

I Love British Radio, But...

In the unlikely event you haven't figured it out by now, I flat out adore British radio game shows. Despite this, I'm not always really clear on how the BBC picks the shows it wants to classify as game shows. Go to BBC Radio 4's website and click "Games And Quizzes", and you will occasionally find shows that simply should not be there. Nowhere is this more clear than with the new show The Kitchen Cabinet.

Jay Rayner plays host to four food expert panelists in an auditorium somewhere in Britain, in front of a live audience. Members of this audience ask questions about food and cooking, and the panelists answer with their best cooking advice. That's it. There's no scoring or anything. I'll be the first to admit that I occasionally use the phrase "game show" a bit too loosely, but even in my mind, this isn't a game show, it's a cooking advice show. Now do you get the title? The Kitchen Cabinet! Yeah, I wish I had thought of that name too.

I trust the BBC about most things, let me make that clear - but I will just plain never understand why The Kitchen Cabinet is classified as a game show and Treasure Quest, a massively entertaining radio scavenger hunt show broadcast on a few BBC local radio stations, is listed under "Entertainment." Guess that's the way of the world.

Incidentally, two more new BBC Radio 4 shows that the station classifies as game shows are coming soon - Wordaholics on February 20 and It's Not What You Know on February 23. I will have my reviews of both two weeks from today.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment